06 February, 2016

Travel report: The UK - Nottingham - Studying in the University of Nottingham (24.01.16 - 17.06.16)

Part Two


Disclaimer: I`m not confident about my English
writing. That is actually why I keep the blog
mostly in English - to practise my writing.

I`m going to write a Russian version of each post a bit later.

So, the second week has come to an end. What do we have so far?

- Now I`m 1 year older than I was last week
- Still haven`t signed up all of the modules in the yellow modules list (but thnx god the last drop-in session is on the 9th of February)
- Still have no idea where the ironing room is (but found the trash cans and the laundry room. The laundry system seems to be a rocket science...).

I celebrated my birthday in a pub not very far from the university - "Star Inn" (yep, I keep finding blackstars everywhere - first in Topshop, now here...ok). Those far-from-the-centre pubs seem to be like cafes in Moscow - calm and homy, with just a few people in there, with quizes and live music organized on particular days of the week. The two local Nottingham guys, whose contacts were given to us by a girl from last year`s student exchange session, refered to it as one of their favorite places (among from the nearest, I guess). Having a really huge glass of cider (must get used to a "pint" amount of drinks), I thought that the drink I used to love was probably closer to an apple soda than a real cider (I liked having "Magners" in Moscow, "Strongbow" and "Somersby" in Bulgaria). If you are a drink expert or just a lover, please let me know what a real cider should be.
However, the pint of cider completely deprived me of the memory of what brand I was having:)) (smth est. in 18th century)
Why cider? I`m not a fan of beer.

The guys are very-very-very nice, many thanks for spending their free time and showing us the town and their favorite places!

As for the nearest supermarket, as far as I know now, they are at the end of Broadgate street (straight from UoN West Entrance and Beeston Lane to High Road). There is Tesco 24\7 (omg, they have 24\7 supermarkets here!)

Sightseeing

Just cross the road from the University campus there is a great deer park and a 16th century residence Wollaton (Hall & Park). Admission either to the park or to the castle is free. Inside there is an old Nottingham National History museum (similar to Darwin`s museum in Moscow, but not that big). The museum features just some of the over 750,000 items in the city's collection. The exhibits are divided into several main galleries, or themes, including Insects, Minerals, and Birds.
The rose garden near the hall is said to be open on Sundays from 2.00 - 4.00pm between April and September.
Now the Hall is also famous for being a setting for Wayne Manor in the 2012 Batman film, Dark Knight Rises.

The Hall is open:

16 February to 1 November 2015, open daily: 10am - 5pm (last entry 4.30pm).
2 November 2015 to 14 February 2016, Friday to Tuesday: 11am to 4pm (last entry 3.30pm).
15 February to 30 October 2016, open daily: 10am - 5pm (last entry 4.30pm).

More info:  http://www.experiencenottinghamshire.com/discover/wollaton-hall-and-park-p354961
Near the Hall there is a little Nottingham's Industrial Museum. Admission for students - 1£ (but the museum is held by volunteers only). The display is mainly items of local importance in textile, coal mining and light metal plus other transport (just 2 cars), means of communication and steam engines, nevertheless quite an interesting place to visit while there.
More info: http://www.nottinghamindustrialmuseum.co.uk/
In Nottingham we managed to visit only the City of Caves so far. Dating back to the Dark Ages, the caves were used for various purposes at all times: from tanneries to pubs and shelters. As there is little information placed near the expositions, an audio guide here would be helpful (English only). Admission price for students: £5.95 
More info: http://www.cityofcaves.com/
Having spent only 2 weeks here, we`ve already been 2 times to Wollaton Park and 3 times to the city centre.

Now about the problems.

№1. As for the language modules, I`m quite uncertain about what level of foreign languages I should take. And they don`t do any language level tests. Just a kind of an interview when you sign up for the course, but not always. For example, Chinese 2b was canceled for the whole week, so on the second week I still haven`t attended a 2b class to see whether I can handle it.
Think I`ll leave 1b of French and going to struggle through 1b of Italian (as we did very little of Italian in MCPU during the last semester).

№2. Prices on textbooks. My Italian textbook costed me... a local train ticket from London to Nottingham or... a night in a Nottingham hostel. 23£, gosh! They don`t have it in the libruary, they don`t have New Practical Chinese Reader 2 either! They do have French, but short loan only! That`s... very frustrating. They say, you can find old ones somewhere, but I don`t know where to look for them...
Perhaps I`ll manage to sell my Italian after the term to somebody...

UPD 
I found out that, actually, I CAN sell my Italian! Today (05/02/2016) I bought second-hand Chinese Reading 2 for 17,5£ both for a textbook and a workbook in Blackwell`s (Portland Bld.)(the full price is 27£). And they say, that if my book will be accepted at an appointment, I can sell it to them!
Here is some info about it: http://bookshop.blackwell.co.uk/stores/blackwell-bookshop-chaucer/services/second-hand-books/

№3. I`m still getting lost on the territory:))

To be truth, I was preparing myself for the worst. I was ready for a bitterly cold and a bitterly small room with an only shower and an only toilet room always occupied, for a constant feeling of hunger because of a poor pre-paid lunch and for other things like that (nothing personal, dear Britain, it`s just what I do). In fact, as far as I hear from the girls from our little Russian gang, I`m experiencing less inconviniences among all of them. Two of them had problems with heating (solved? I don`t know yet), one - with the shower (one of the two doesn`t work, block E, 2nd floor), some have separate taps for hot and cold water in their rooms and... that`s all! Well, the toilet is a little bit untidy...:)

I`m now coming to an actual understanding of what a wonderful opportunity it is to study here. I mean, I can`t really complain, as far as the Russian system of higher education partially is still funded from the government, and I use it. But what a life that would be, if I could attend Film&TV module, having a major in Lingustics in my home university?

П.С.
Рутрекер отсюда и правда не работает, ни на гостевом, ни на eduroam. Связано это, конечно, не с блокировкой сайта, а, скорее с блокировкой подобного рода обмена фалами со стороны местного провайдера (если такое возможно). При тестировании скорости торрент пишет "Ошибка соединения: Истекло время ожидания. (10060)", результаты: "Порт не открыт (загрузка возможна)". Попытки "открыть порт" (ну, то есть, гуглить проблему и пробовать все подряд) результатов пока не дают. И скорее всего не дадут. Поэтому, думаю, ограничусь онлайн просмотрами - времени все равно на это не много.

No comments:

Post a Comment