21 January, 2016

Let me think about... The Fall (2006)

Think I`m going to renew my blog for the upcoming long travel to the UK as we all were asked to keep notes on new vocabulary heard and anything interesting on our way. 
But first things first. And first things are movies!

The end of 2014 brought me a gift of the most striking movie since... I don`t know... Equilibrium or Sleuth (and they both were a shock!) It all started from a little GIF image of a handsome actor taking off his mask. And, gosh, you have to see what it covered! The image was of a Zorro-like bandit, but a bit away from the classical, a bit less... masculine, perhaps. It wasn`t the only me who asked "what was it??! where is it from??!" in the comments. And the answer was "The Fall".



Released in 2006, directed by Tarsem Singh, starring Lee Pace, Catinca Untaru, Leo Bill and many other actors whom you`ve hardly ever seen or heard of before. Lee Pace wasn`t known as Thranduil in The Hobbit then, but the role contributed into him becoming one - the Hobbit director Peter Jackson chose him for the part exactly after he watched The Fall. However the most challenging,I guess, part he played in his career so on was a transgender Calpernia Addams in "Soldier's Girl" (2003). Lee Pace is also described as a very talented theater performer; and certainly my dream will always be to see him on stage.

The story takes place in a hospital, a stunt actor is in bed after an accidental fall from a horse while doing one of the tricks. But that`s not the only trauma he has - a broken heart 
also. The actress he fell for chose another man, a leading star of a movie they all were making together. For his money and beauty, surely, as what money a crippled stunt man can make? So, he, a man without any desire to live further, meets a running-around the hospital little girl (who, as it turned out, also didn`t have an easy life at all). The two worlds collapse, the man starts his fairy-tale story for the bored little girl, and then an idea comes to him - why not use the story (and the girl) to help him finish his life?



(beware: spoilers)
To say the story is tremendously heartbreaking is to say nothing. Nobody said it is "based on a true story", but you can`t help believing such situation could have happened! And what a life the girl could have if everything ended badly! That`s what left me crying at the end - together with the girl I begged Roy to stay alive! And how beautifuly the worlds of the fictional character and the real one are combined! 


(spolers free area)
And Roy... Oh, I fell in love with Roy, I fell in love with Lee Pace, I started to watch everything he worked for - almost all movies, Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies (gosh, he is so adorable there!), now Halt and Catch Fire - and just loved every role of those that he took! The movie discovered him for me, and I`m so greatful.

Such a dramatic storyline goes together with an immensly magical picture created by Tarsem. I can`t imagine how much effort it took him to find such beautiful places to shoot all over the world, but it DID worth it! I would really want to rewatch it in a movie theatre now! And I`m really surprised about that none of my friends and relatives loved it (yes, I forced them to watch:)), so it keeps me wondering whether I see a bit more in the movie than some others.




You also probably should know that it was quite hard to work with Catinka - there is even a "spoiled" scene in the final cut, that she refused to remake, but anyway her acting is quite good and believable. Perhaps because she didn`t know that Roy (she didn`t know the real name of the actor) could walk in real life.

I don`t just recommend the movie. The movie is an obligatory MUST WATCH!

No comments:

Post a Comment